Construction Update, B-PC High School
The girls’ locker room is complete and we should be nearing completion of the boys’ and the football locker rooms soon. Library furnishings are scheduled to be installed in early November and Mr. Sharp and Mr. Jones are busy reinstalling trophy cases. We identified and isolated a gas leak near the concession stand. Gas was restored to the High School (except for the Band Room) in order to provide heat to the building. Contractors are scheduled to be on site this week to determine next steps. We hope to have full gas service and heat returned to the Band Room before the weather turns.
Increasing staff and student safety continues to be a priority, with activities taking place every month to improve our safety responses. In October during our teacher institute day, principals reviewed emergency response language and responses.
Board of Education
The B-PC Board of Education met for its regular meeting in October and met in the High School Libary for the first time since construction began. The following items were discussed or acted upon at the October Board of Education meeting:
- Mr. Butcher, Mr. Harrison, and Ms. Daily discussed their attendance at the recent conference held by the Illinois Principals’ Association.
- Adding junior high baseball to district athletic programs was discussed again. More information is being gathered with action anticipated in the next few months.
- Mr. Kluesner and Ms. Edwards discussed a student newspaper that is being planned for B-PC High School.
- Mr. Gound discussed the first reading of several policy updates and reviews. The second reading and action will take place at the November Board of Education meeting.
- Dr. Dinger discussed developing a “Portrait of a B-PC Graduate” to identify skills and traits that all B-PC graduates should possess. Members of the school community will be asked to participate in this process.
- Board members unanimously approved submission of a school maintenance grant that could provide up to $50,000 in matching funds for existing projects; and
- Board members approved Hannah Spangler as a full-time sub, Brandon Nott and Jenifer Bower as coaches for high school track, and Steve Ackers for hire in the high school cafeteria. The Board also accepted the resignation of Cheryl Hood and Hannah Neuman and the transfer of Kimberly Lowe from 2/3 Resource to the Life Skills Program at B-PC Elementary.
- Board members also heard from Pastor David Hughes who is willing to assist with transportation to and from school for students residing at Greenbrier Apartments. The students of parents residing at Greenbrier, who attended the informational meeting hosted by the McDonough County Housing Authority and signed up for transportation, will be bussed to and from B-PC Junior High (as a bus stop). Pastor Hughes will be working with the Housing Authority to provide assistance to a pre-K student who would benefit from transportation mid-day.
October 27 & October 28: Parent-Student Conferences
November 8: NO SCHOOL, Election Day
November 11: NO SCHOOL, Veterans Day